Rare Bird got its start in 1998. (We can’t believe it, either!) Of course, we wanted to mark this momentous occasion. But when all of us sat down together to brainstorm a fitting celebration, we had so many good ideas… Among them:
- Give socks to homeless people!
- Play ping-pong!
- Donate blood!
- Throw a party!
- Thank a mentor!
- Shave our heads!
And on and on. (After all, we’re in the ideas business.)
Then it dawned on us: let’s celebrate with a whole year of giving back and having fun. Let’s do 20 things to commemorate 20 years.
We’re calling it “Good Deeds & Good Times.”
As the year unfolds, we’ll share about some of our adventures along the way. Watch our blog and social media for updates. (And if you haven’t already, sign up for our newsletter, so you don’t miss out.)
Our celebrations so far:
- We collected more than 300 items (and an extra $1,000) for homeless veterans
- We rolled up our sleeves and gave blood (and plasma and double platelets)
- We sharpened our blades and tossed a few back at Bad Axe Throwing
- We raised money – more than $7,000! – by shaving our heads for childhood cancer research
- Created flower arrangements for people in healthcare facilities with Random Acts of Flowers
- Volunteered at the Hamilton County Humane Society
- 2018 Zoo Clinic: Volunteered with Safe Kids Indiana who donated 249 car seats and installed 316
- We moved! New address: 200 South Rangeline Road, Carmel, Indiana 46032
- We rode in the Great Cycle Challenge to raise money for cancer research
- We’re building a new website for HVAF of Indiana (launching soon!)
- Practiced with a little… uh, birdshot
- Ventured to IMAX for 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Spent a few hours learning the coffee business at Julian Coffee Roasters
- We put the pedal to the metal in a go-kart outing
- We put gratitude to work—and in writing—all year long
- Delivered doughnuts to all of our neighbors in the Indiana Design Center
- The ladybirds” attended TEDxIndianapolisWomen
- We donated 16 new basketballs to Hamilton County Special Olympians
- Got a dose of inspiration attending Creative Mornings
- Worked on our golf swings at Top Golf